(Frequently Asked Questions)
What is the minimum age to rent a vehicle?
It is usually the age of 23, but if the customer is under the age of 23, extra fees will be charged.
How long must you have your licence before you can rent a vehicle?
A customer must have a valid driver’s licence for three or more years.
Can I rent a vehicle without a credit card?
Vehicles can be booked with a credit card only.
What methods of payment do you accept?
If a customer wants to rent a vehicle from Car Rental South Africa, he/she must have a valid credit card or a South African debit
card if travelling on a company/business account. Just remember, rental deposits on a debit card are higher than on a credit card.
Must you have your credit card with you when you pick up your vehicle?
Yes. The name on the credit card must be the name of the vehicle renter.
What is an additional driver?
If a customer signs the rental agreement, he/she is the only one allowed to drive the vehicle. If there is an additional driver on the rental agreement,
extra fees will be charged.
What type of waivers are there?
Waivers are a legal agreement between the customer and the rental company in the event of an accident or theft of the vehicle.
There are two options:
If the customer was negligent, he/she would be held liable and would have to pay for the full amount of damage.
- Standard Waiver : Reduces the amount of liability for the customer, in case of damage or loss.
- Super Waiver: Reduces the amount of liability for the customer even more, in case of damage or loss.
How do I know which vehicle to choose?
Consider the following when choosing a vehicle rental:
- The season (winter/summer/spring/autumn)
- The climate and weather
- The duration of your hire
- Size of your vehicle
- Price range
How is a daily rental fee charged?
Vehicle hire rates are calculated according to 24-hour period cycles.
Do I get the vehicle with a full tank of fuel and must I return it full?
When a customer receives their vehicle rental, it has a full tank of fuel. There are two options upon returning the vehicle rental:
- Refill the tank upon the return of the rental.
- Leave the tank as it is and the vehicle rental company will fill it up. The customer will be charged for the refilling.
What Location Surcharges are there?
- Airport Surcharge - The customer pays a fee when the vehicle is collected and returned at any South African Airport.
- Outlying area surcharge - A fee charged by smaller and remote locations.
What is Tourism Levy?
A compulsory fee of 1% of the daily vehicle rental rate is paid to TOMSA (Tourism Marketing Levy for South Africa) to promote and develop tourism in South Africa.
What countries can I take the vehicle rental into?
Certain vehicle rentals may enter neighbouring countries, but fees apply. When a customer books their vehicle,
he/she must confirm when they are leaving South Africa and where they are going. This gives the vehicle rental
company enough time to draw up the right documentation and hand it to the customer to show at the border.
Can I pick up and drop off my vehicle at different branches?
It's called a one way fee. This fee is charged when a customer collects the vehicle at one branch and drops it off at a different branch.
These fees are usually charged when a customer is travelling long distances.
If I am involved in an accident, what should I do?
- Report the accident within 48 hours to the vehicle rental company and the SAPS.
- Call the vehicle rental company for towing assistance.
- The customer is required to fill out an incident report in detail.
- Damages to the vehicle rental must be reported to the vehicle rental company.
- After the claim is completed, the customer will be charged according to the liability waiver agreement and an administration fee
is to be paid to process this claim. Additional fees such as towing will also be charged for.
What happens if I get a traffic fine?
If the customer gets a traffic fine while driving a vehicle rental, the fine will be send to the vehicle rental company.
The rental company will send the fine to the customer and asked to also pay a traffic fine administration fee.